Contemplative Spiritual Direction

This form of spiritual direction is not what it sounds to be! It’s not about a counsellor directing – e.g. giving advice, exhorting a person to pray more, read more scripture, live a better life, etc. In contemplative spiritual direction, it is understood that the true director is the Holy Spirit – so issues are brought into his presence and then – who knows? There’s time for silence and reflection – a session may be exploratory, unexpected, worshipful, really hard work or just a joy.

PAM_Staff-PhotosMy role as spiritual director is to use my training (Graduate Diploma in Spiritual Direction) to encourage a person to explore his/her issue in God’s presence; for me to listen for what seems significant and allow the Holy Spirit to guide my responses; to employ forms of meditation (such as those from the Benedictine and Ignatian way) where that seems appropriate.

It seems good for a new person to have one or two trial sessions – then we meet monthly for up to six sessions – after which it’s time for a review.

If you are interested or would like more information, please contact me.

Pam Kerruish

Got something to say?