Eco Church

PAGE-PHOTO-ecochurch

Vision
We have been commissioned by God to be participants with him in sustaining the planet.

Goal
We meet bi-monthly to discuss current environmental issues and to encourage more responsible attitudes towards caring for God’s creation in practical ways.

Details

• We recycle in the church collecting batteries, light globes, ink cartridges, stamps, X-rays, coffee pods, ring pulls  and corks.
    This is what we do with them:

• Aluminium coffee pods can now be left at the Bush Flowers shop on Marmion St. We are not collecting the plastic pods. They may be recyclable elsewhere.
    • X-rays are sent to Melbourne for safe disposal and recycling the silver content.
    • The phones, batteries and light globes have the valuable metals removed for recycling and the dangerous chemicals safely disposed of.
    • Ink cartridges can be refilled and resold.
    • Corks go to the Girl Guides for making into cork mats and tiles.
    • Stamps are now going to Bush Church Aid where they can be sold for collectors.
    • Ring Pulls go to Wheelchairs for Kids where they are melted down and used in artificial limbs or wheelchairs (ON HOLD – they prefer whole cans to sell and raise funds and we do not have the space for can collecting cage)
  • We engage in local community events; tree planting and rubbish collection.
  • We plan free movie nights explaining the impact of humans on the environment and ways to reduce our carbon footprint.

EcoChurch welcomes input and participation from outside groups or individuals.

One of the latest development on becoming more sustainable is installation of solar panels at the church.  To see how the panels are performing, click here.

Leave a Comment or Contact Helen on 9384 5849 or 0418 911 007

3 Responses to “Eco Church”

1. Hi. I have a small bagful of sparkling wine corks which I’d like to recycle but I can’t find anywhere which takes them. Do you still take them? (When I looked up the girl guides website, it said that only the Northern Territory branch accepts them now.)
    Denise Vassallo (North Beach – but I don’t mind driving the corks down to Cottesloe, if they can be recycled.

• Hi Denise,
      We do take them – there is a collection box here at the church. Office hours are Tues-Thurs 9am-5pm if you can come during the week. Or join us for a service (7.30 or 9.30am) and drop them off then.
      Bethany (church admin)

2. Thanks so much, Bethany.

Got something to say?